Covid-19 – Workplace Safety
During the Government’s nationwide lockdown that came into place on the 23rd March 2020, CEME has continued to stay open to enable key sector businesses to operate and support the nation during this period of the COVID-19 Pandemic crisis.
We have been monitoring UK Government advice on a daily basis to ensure we follow best practice, and implement appropriate control measures to mitigate the risk of COVID-19 infections on the campus. As a consequence, the following safety control measures have been initiated:
COVID-19 Risk Assessment
A COVID-19 specific risk assessment has been carried out using the five steps of risk assessment: Look for the Hazards, Who might be Harmed and How, Evaluate the Risks, Record the Findings and, Review. This has been the basis for implementing Health and Safety mitigation controls – with some of the key areas covered below:
The Government’s advice is to maintain 2 metres social distancing, wherever possible. CEME has introduced the following:
- Comprehensive 2m social distancing signage across site including floor signs to the Main Building, Innovation Centre and Launchpad Centre as well as to external walkways.
- A one-way system has been deployed to the main building Street area.
- A one-way system has been deployed in the Innovation Centre.
- The CEME workshop access and egress has been adapted to a one-way system.
- Communal furniture has either been removed or repositioned to comply with the 2m rule.
- Toilets have been altered to comply, with hand basins and urinals shut off to maintain 2m distance.
- Turnstiles have been removed to the main building reception to allow for the 2m distance.
- The communal post room has been moved to allow for more space as well as two-way access.
- Barriers have been used on our receptions maintaining a 2m distance.
- Lifts are restricted to one user per lift journey.
- Meeting rooms have been reorganised to maintain 2m distance.
Managing Transmission Risk
Where people cannot be 2m apart, we must manage transmission risk. The following measures have been introduced:
- Protective screens have been installed to reception desk, and will also be installed to the café till areas before reopening.
- Communal fridges and microwaves have been closed off.
- People are encouraged to keep physical activity time where a 2m distance isn’t achievable as short as possible.
- Use of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) such as face coverings and gloves will be utilised where necessary.
Enhanced Cleaning Regimes
Government guidance also advises that cleaning processes are reinforced. CEME has introduced the following:
- A total of 54 additional hand sanitiser stations have been installed across campus.
- Additional cleaning carried out to ‘touch point’ areas across campus such as door handles and hand rails.
- Additional signage instructing best practice for handwashing and personal hygiene standards.
Hospitality and Café Services
Over the next couple of weeks, we will be monitoring occupancy rates on the campus and assess whether the CEME café can re-open. If demand increases, we will aim to offer catering at the earliest opportunity. Please bear in mind that due to the ongoing requirement for social distancing measures, menus will need to be adapted to ensure we mitigate the transmission risk during service. This will include reducing services to grab and go, pre-packaged and pre-ordered items, and closing off self-service areas. More information will follow as the situation progresses.
CEME hope you and your close ones keep safe and well throughout this Pandemic and are here to support your business during this challenging time. You are encouraged to start safety planning for your own workplace areas and to follow Government guidance – found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/offices-and-contact-centres#offices-3-2
If you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact Seb Coombs on Commercial matters, or Paul Johnston in relation to Facilities.